Mystery surrounds Malcolm Shabazz murder.

Views: 21361

Colin Campbell, Press TV, Washington May 14 2013

His life was cut short at 28 years old. Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of famed civil rights activist Malcolm X mysteriously died while on a trip to Mexico.Some reports say that Shabazz was robbed while others say he was murdered. In a report from Talking Points Memo, according to an associate, Shabazz was badly beaten during a robbery last Wednesday in Mexico City. But others, such as Dr. Randy Short, a friend of Shabazz have other theories. Recently, Shabazz had become outspoken about the mistreatment of African-Americans and the disparities that they face in the US. This Press TV interview with Malcolm Shabazz was taken just more than one year ago. Shabazz was described as a spirited and passionate man who sometimes would give in to impulsiveness. He was a member and a supporter of the Occupy movement and championed a movement embracing black autonomy much like his grandfather Malcolm X did. READ MORE

Malcolm Shabazz Beaten To Death With Bat Or Stick, Prosecutor Says

MEXICO CITY -- The men who beat Malcolm Shabazz to death not only punched and kick him but also used a bat or stick during the attack, Mexico City's top prosecutor said Tuesday. Prosecutor Rodolfo Rios said the two waiters arrested in the case had served the grandson of civil rights activist Malcolm X and a friend at the Palace bar near Plaza Garibaldi. Shabazz's friend, Miguel Suarez, told investigators that the two had consumed about a dozen beers and then the waiters demanded they pay a tab of 15,000 pesos, or about $1,200, Rios said.Rios said the attackers realized the severity of the beating when an ambulance arrived. He said the employees ripped out all security cameras inside the bar and immediately closed it. An autopsy found that Shabazz died of blows to the head, face and torso. The bar's owner has yet to talk to authorities and Rios said he is considering issuing an arrest warrant. The owner could be charged with covering up a crime, he added. Suarez said that he and Shabazz were lured to the bar Wednesday night by a young woman who made conversation with Shabazz in English. The Palace bar is on one of Mexico City's busiest avenues. Shabazz died at a hospital early Thursday.